The bible is the foundation of your faith as Jesus Christ is the Word and is the bible.
Try to get a good overall understanding of the bible and learn your verses. This way you will get through the storms of life in victory.
Psalms 119:11 ESV “I have stored up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you.”
Get some verses into your heart after you have got them into your mind by memorizing them, then you will maybe find that you sin less and therefore feel good instead of grouchy.
I have found that reading and learning theology gives you a more solid spirit and obviously it will help you to understand the Word better.
Learning verses sounds boring I know, but there are ways that are fun.
If you don’t have a smartphone or computer then try memorizing the right verses and then writing down what you remember without looking. Or a more fun way is to get someone to test you on them. Think of fun ways as it will benefit you massively.
Get the “Remember Me” verse learning app on your smartphone.
- There are different styles of learning on the app e.g. it covers up words on the verse so that you have to guess them. Other fun ways too.
- Use a bible version you enjoy so you will keep on with it.
- Don’t use the preloaded compilations of verses, find verses that are suited specifically to you. Remember the bible context of the verse though please.
- Get Psalm verses that give you faith and then get Proverb verses so that you can receive wisdom by faith.
Knowing the Word well is vital so please Relax And Try (remember my Relax And Try post) your best to do it.
- When life gets tough, knowing your bible verses is actually going to help get you through e.g. knowing the verse 2 Timothy 2:13 “when we are faithless he is faithful as he cannot deny himself” will give you faith when your faith is at a low point.
- Knowing Psalm 46 when everything in your life is falling apart i.e. knowing that God can just speak and the situation is changed completely.
- Knowing a good handful of Proverbs is essential for many of lifes situations e.g. Proverbs 16:32 to keep patient under pressure and Proverbs 27:12 to prepare for pressure.
- Understanding what we believe. Verses for the fundementals of the gospel e.g. John 3:16 and any other verses that show we are saved by grace through faith because Jesus died for us and it is not our own works that get us to heaven. This is vital.
Do not run away into a remote monastry named High Rothgar in order to learn the bible cover to cover. This will not help your fellow man. Obviously monks are necessary in some cases though.
Jesus is the Word and the Word is the bible. In the bible, it says do not be afraid 100’s of times and it also stops you being afraid. The bible is saying; read me, as I will give you faith, the opposite of fear:
So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ.
Romans 10:17 ESV
When a verse comes to mind in a difficult situation it can give you a boost just like eating a power pellet of manna e.g. remembering Romans 12:21 when faced with a grumpy minion, can help a lot.
So given the above, it would be splendid to have the right verse for the right time. Blue tack an A4 plain sheet of paper to your wall and use those different coloured sticky bookmark things with the verses written on for the current times e.g. one sticky could be the Romans 12:21 for grumpy zombies you might meet.
Different colours make it fun. Use the ones that are roughly one centimeter by four. Then they dont overlap and thus you can see them all. Write a little bit of the verse so that it fits and also so you have to remember the rest. It is a prompt.
As times change, the verses stick and un-stick with your hand e.g as the zombie population decreases you might stick a more joyful verse on.