Hi guys, got some top tips here on how to look after you mental health. Always a must and very much so if another lockdown comes along i.e. lockdowns are a bit of a change to peoples normal routine and this can have a negative effect on mental health.
I will give the top tips as mental health is real and needs the amazing strategies that we have developed in this day and age but I will say that my belief is that mental health (e.g. a chemical imbalance in the brain) usually due to a spiritual cause. I always say that the days of Genesis creation are a metaphor for the millions of years of the theory of evolution. The bible being the spiritual why and evolution as the how. Why and how then. We treat a symptom when we treat mental health and unless we tackle the spiritual route cause, we will find that other symptoms pop up when we treat them. But whats wrong with doing both? Nothing:
• Mindfullness meditation. This is a real game changer. Look up how to do it online. We can apply this way of relaxing and living in the here and now to our daily lives easily e.g. you can even be mindful about eating food. I do it lots and I feel really good from it. Also research how you can stimulate your vegas nerve e.g. by things like doing Tai Chi.
• Lots of water every day as science says that we are composed of a high ratio of water. Get a water filter to get the bad stuff out, even better. Limit the amount of caffiene you have so you can maintain a good sleep pattern. Have decaf coffee and tea and imagine it is caffinated – it works.
• Lookup the benefits of tumeric and maintaining homeostasis in your body.
- Keep your house tidy and organised as I always say that a tidy person has a tidy mind.
• Research valid mental health blogs and mental health valid sources too. Things likr Maslows Hierarchy of need.
• A good solid breakfast, lunch and dinner with a balanced diet. Lookup a balanced diet chart. Helps to have one cooked meal a day at least. Have a jacket spud and change the topping each time so it does not get boring. Jacket spud make you strong 😀 Limit your amount of junk food or even have no junk food at all e.g. like crisps and chocolate. You will feel better for it and there is actually lots of delicious healthy food that you can get instead. Try and do some healthy cooking. Cooking is fun and I make a healthy tuna pasta bake sometimes with some left over for the next day 😀
• Lots of exercise. I do all of these points but I find that exercise is a real game changer. It can make you feel really good. Check out 1 Timothy 4:7-9 as exercise is even of use next to Godliness. If you find it hard to get yourself to go out for a cycle then just force yourself to do 5 minutes and then you find you do 45 minutes. The bath is 5 times nicer when you get back in Winter. If it is jogging and you do not feel like then cleverly get yourself to do it by taking small steps to get out e.g. leave your trainers out in an easy place in the house, clear your mind and just get your trainers on, and when you are out make sure you pace it at first and then pick speed. The feel good benefits are more than the effort it takes to do it.
• A good sleep pattern and sleep hygiene with things like lavendar oil on your pillow.
• Lots of fresh air and enjoying yourself out doors in the forest.
- Find a medium sized box at home and put things in it that make you happy e.g. your favorite music, nice smelling candles, photos or items that remind yourself of happy times. Be creative and use this box to help you feel happy whenever you get a bit down 🙂💚❤💛🧡
- Remember to cuddle up with yours pets at home. This is therapeutic. Do not let them blackmail for tasty treats though lol 😀🐈❤💛💚🧡
- Make sure you remember to have fun and enjoy yourself. Sometimes you could be trying really hard to look after yourself but actually the best thing for you is to have fun and enjoy yourself. If you cannot think of anything fun to do then brainstorm a list on paper. Prudently brainstorm a list for future fun too 💚💛😀❤
- When you are laying in bed and just about to go to sleep, run through in your mind some of the things you have done in the day. This helps your memory but it is also healthy for your brain before sleep. It helps restful sleep. Just think of the good bits or if there are no good bits then think how Jesus got you through another day and remember to research future grace. Trials strength
Make sure you rationalize atm. If you smile and say hello to someone you know in the street and they ignore you then consider that it is nothing personal but instead the fear inside them that is a result of the Corona virus lockdown.
I like to rationalize when things seem strange e.g. if someone I know passes by me the street and does not say hello, then I will think to myself that they either did not see me, they are having a bad day or they or they are grumpy with me. I have learnt that it is always what I conclude, the first two. Thats after having a coffee and chat with them later in the week.
If you get niggles or worrying questions in your mind then get an a4 piece of paper, write your question at the top, write reasons for and against on each side of a line drawn down the middle. Score each reason and add up the number at the bottom. When you see the score for how silly it was, you believe the truth and feel fine.
These are just a few top tips that I use, but things like this can bring you real quality of life. In faith I believe that God taught me these things along the way. Dont forget that Jesus was the great physician.
I recommend the book The Chimp Paradox by Professor Steven Peters. Look after your basic needs like sleep and territory etc so that your inner animal Chimp does not start to complain. You manage your inner Chimp with your human AKA reasonable, sensible selve and autopilots in your memory AKA your Computer. The Word is very human therefore when we use the sword of the Spirit on our Chimp, we find it works very well. Infact I have a theory that our Chimps are something to do with our sin. Take a read. A bit of science and faith working togethor here maybe.
Mental health or not, if you are in a situation where you need a fleece sign (do not test God. Read what bible says), then discern very carefully if the sign is Jesus, just you or instead the enemy. Signs are rare and not everything is a sign please. If you think it is a Jesus sign in faith then consider please if it is inline with the bible and sensible with wisdom. Remember that Jesus is love for this and everything.
If you are a bit worried about doing mindfullness then consider doing your relaxation time by closing your eyes and thinking in your mind of the bible verses with their references that you know. Just focus on these in a relaxed way and nothing else. ❤💛💚🧡🙂
Sunny Summer weather is getting nearer. Let the sun clear your head and enjoy your day.